
Tensions are running high and nerves are strained the day before the race.

We are registering, attending mandatory meetings, running last-minute errands, and making sure everything is organized and planned out.

This is a five-day endurance race, so food is very important and very much debated. I met one team last night who swore by their homemade energy bars, and another who said they were going to survive on
Kraft Dinners. Louise and Synthia are taking energy bars and gels, and instant noodles that they will cook on a tiny camping stove.

They have to prepare for hot weather in the afternoon and very cold weather at night. If it rains, it will be even colder. Most of the racers who don't finish the race drop out because they get too cold. So Louise and Synthia are taking many pairs of gloves and wool socks.

And instant heat -- lots and lots of instant heat.

They are allowed to land the kayak if they want to, but they are going to try to stop as little as possible.

What to pack, where to pack it, how to manage all the different preparations necessary for the race -- these have been contested subjects today. The race will be an intense experience, and I think everyone is a little stressed out at the moment.

As for me, I'm excited about the race and envious. I wish I could get out on the river myself.

And also, I miss David.
2 comments:
Good luck, team Bloomingtonaut!
Go Louise and Synthia!!
Post a Comment