
In Skagway, we stayed at a Mountie-themed hotel called Sergeant Preston's Lodge.

During the Gold Rush, Skagway was the first stop for a lot of the gold-seekers, a wild town that offered them the temptations of drinking, gambling, and dancehall girls.

Now it's a very cute little town offering the temptations of sightseeing, shopping, and fudge.

After breakfast, we drove into the mountains toward the Canadian border.

After about 20 miles, we crossed the border into the Yukon, where the mountains were even bigger, rockier, and more snow-covered.

I was expecting mountains. I wasn't expecting a desert, but this is it: Carcross Desert, the smallest desert in the world. It was once a lake, then a dry sandy lake bed, then a landscape of shifting sands where only a few hardy plants survive.

In a couple of hours, we had our first glimpse of the Yukon River.

And then we were in Whitehorse, which was beginning to fill up with kayakers and canoers.

There were an unbelievable number of people at the dinner for the racers and their support teams. We met lots of other paddlers, watched a movie about the race, and then left to get ourselves ready. We have one more day for last-minute shopping, packing, and errands, and then the race begins.
2 comments:
Ebee I'm afraid Westminster is going to be very tame after your trip. Our mountains are small, we have lots of roads, and there is almost no boating at all. I'll get right on trying to find a fun adventure for us!
I think I will be ready to relax a little more by the time I get to Westminster!
Post a Comment