Friday, April 25, 2008

Roman Holiday

Yesterday David and I celebrated the foundation of Rome. The traditional founding date is April 21, but we moved it to accommodate David's exam schedule. I'm sure the Romans wouldn't have minded.

I made lunch from this classical cookbook, which isn't that authentic, but does have very delicious food. Our Roman meal included celery-leek soup and a dish like baked polenta, but made with chickpea and fava bean flour. And it was gluten-free.

A Five-Lined Skink crept onto the patio and joined in the feast.


We sat outside in the shade, we wore garlands, and we made toasts. And then we went inside and watched the episode of America's Next Top Model in which the models go to Rome. I'm pretty sure that's exactly how they celebrated this occasion in the classical world.

1 comment:

Cerise said...

Boy, you two sure know how to have fun. Whatever did the neighbors think of the garlands? I love it that you can now identify the local lizards by species! I like "A Taste of Ancient Rome," but watch the amount of garlic!