Saturday, July 06, 2013

Unexpected Roanoke

We were planning on traveling to D.C. today, and I'm sorry those plans didn't work out! But since we were all ready to travel, and it was a beautiful day, we had an unexpected trip to Roanoke instead.

I loved the mixture of different types of buildings in Roanoke.


We went downtown, near where the Roanoke City Market is held.


This area is full of little shops and restaurants, and we stopped for lunch at a place called Firefly Fare, which specializes in local ingredients.

This pesto-grilled tofu steak with rice noodles, cucumbers, and fresh greens was delicious. I need to learn how to cook tofu like that.

It was a perfect day to sit outside.

Drinks -- water and spicy, gingery green juice -- come in glasses shaped like cowboy boots.

After lunch we went a few blocks down to the Taubman Museum of Art.

It's a modern art museum with a cool design (designed by architect Randall Stout).

We had an awesome time looking at the exhibits here.

Inside, the museum has great light and a great view of Roanoke.

No comments: