Sunday, August 21, 2011

A Swim

Yesterday I accomplished one of my summer goals: I went swimming at Wakulla Springs.

I met up with Ed, Adrienne, and Maggie, who were spending a night in the lodge.


We sat out under the cypress trees at the shore of the river. Lots of other people were at the swimming area, but it still felt peaceful and relaxing.


The water was ice-cold.

And crystal-clear.

As we were swimming out by the rope, we saw a couple of gray whiskered snouts break the surface of the water, just outside the swimming area. Manatees! Two of them were swimming with us, and one was further out in the middle of the spring. (None of them are in this picture, though; my camera was on shore.)

After our swim, Adrienne and Maggie showed me the lodge's original elevator, the oldest one I have ever ridden on.

It's so beautifully made, and it still works.

And then we went to the soda fountain for ginger yips.


Eat ice cream; sit under shady trees; swim in a cold spring. Repeat until summer is over.

1 comment:

Ursula Krentz said...

Swimming with manatees-- how wonderful!