Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Surprise Wedding

David and I went to Tampa for the engagement party of our friends Julie and John, which also turned out to be their wedding.




We decided to make their wedding presents ourselves. Julie studies Roman coins and the Severans, and we were inspired by this silver denarius of the Severan empress Julia Domna. Julia Domna is on the obverse side of this coin, and on the reverse is a dedication to Fortuna Felix, "Happy Good Fortune." We wanted to wish that happy fortune to Julie and John.

I made this paper cutting, in which the coin is surrounded by vines inspired by Augustan-era imagery.

David composed this poem describing the coin:

I turned over a shining silver coin in my hands
inscribed with the words "Julia Augusta" and with her face
looking to the right, her hair bound in rows,
and with her dress hanging from her chaste shoulders.
And I saw a greeting to Happy Good Fortune
on the back of the coin, Fortune with her breast bared,
gazing to the left and from her throne stretching her right arm

to a child standing upright, supporting a horn of plenty
with her immortal elbow, and leaning with her left hand
on a rudder fixed to a globe of the world.
Hail, goddess, may you give me your gifts!

The party was at a friend's house, and it was very elegant. We gathered on a screened-in patio, with an almost-full moon overhead and candles all around. Caterers ducked in and out refilling the delicious food. A singer sang jazz standards at the far end of the pool.

This is what I wore.

I made this necklace for the party.

Julie and John kept the wedding part of the party a secret from everyone except those of us who would have to travel long distance to be there. The guests were completely surprised. Even though Julie was wearing a gorgeous white wedding dress.

And also, there was a beautiful wedding cake.

They called us all together, and John's friend announced that he had sad news: the engagement was over. The crowd was dumbfounded. "Dearly beloved," he went on, "we are here tonight to witness the wedding of Julie and John." There were deafening cheers. Then Julie and John got married.

Congratulations, newly-weds! And all of our best wishes for a long life together that continues to be full of happy surprises.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous papercutting! I can't believe how detailed it is.

-Jennifer

Cerise said...

Oooh! I can't decide which is prettier: your dress, or you necklace!

elizabeth said...

Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

Yes, WOW - the gift, the necklace, Julie's smile, David dressed up,your radiance. Dr HF