
This is what the Wakulla River looked like yesterday. It wasn't too warm -- low 60s at the highest -- and I had the river mostly to myself. There were just a few boats out fishing for mullet. As I paddled up the river, mullets flung themselves out of the water and splashed back down.

Fishing birds were out feasting on the mullet too. I saw lots of cormorants.

The ospreys were nesting. That massive structure behind this bird is its nest.

This osprey dove over my head with a mullet in its talons, then settled on a tree branch to enjoy the meal.

I got close enough to this cormorant to see its bright blue eye. (Click on the picture to see it.)

It was too cold for manatees, and I didn't see any alligators either, but there was one bend of the river that was completely covered with turtles. Every single log, twig, or cypress knee poking out of the water had a turtle on it.

On my way back I pulled into a little cove and saw a Great egret stalking the waterline.
1 comment:
I want to go too!
Post a Comment