Sunday, November 02, 2008

A Saturday at the Polls

We went to the library on Saturday for early voting. We tried to pick the place we thought would have the smallest lines, and I think we did well. The whole process, from getting in line to casting our votes, took 65 minutes. The woman at the polls told me that earlier that morning people were waiting in line for two or three hours, and in Atlanta it was taking eight hours to vote.

The line was still so long that the candidates for local office were able to do some last-minute campaigning at the end of the line. We met rival candidates who were both running for the same position as judge. We voted for the one who was a professor.

When we finally got inside the library, we found that it was very different from voting in Indiana. We had to fill in the bubbles on paper ballots with black markers. The sign told us that along with our ballots we would get "secrecy folders," which turned out to be plain manila folders. "All this time I had no idea that I'd been using secrecy folders for everything," David said afterwards. David had actually tried to feed his secrecy folder into the ballot-eating machine. I couldn't even find the ballot machine and had wandered around the room disturbing the voting officials.

But finally we managed to cast our votes.

4 comments:

The Krentz Family said...

Wow! What an adventure!

Cerise said...

What a cool necklace. Is it mother of pearl? I am proud of you two for taking the trouble to vote. Are they TRYING to make it difficult this year, or is it just me?

elizabeth said...

The necklace is actually made of felt! And yes -- I think they ARE trying to make it difficult this year!

Andrea Pless said...

I use secrecy folders too! Wow. Here I never knew teachers were part of a secret organization.