Sunday, October 28, 2012

Halloween Retrospective

It's hard for me to believe, but David and I have been celebrating Halloween together for a decade now. This picture is from the first time we dressed up for Halloween together, in 2002. We're at a classics party at our friend Julie's house. I'm dressed as Persephone, and David is Tantalus.

These are the first Halloween pictures I ever put on the blog, from 2006. That year we just had one little pumpkin (which I ate on November 1). We decorated our door with spiderwebs, but we didn't get any trick-or-treaters.

 Halloween 2007 was our first one in Florida. We brought our spiders and spiderwebs with us from Indiana. It was the first year that David started the tradition of dressing as a mythological character to teach his myth class on Halloween. That year, he went as Gilgamesh.

In 2008, neither of us taught a myth class on Halloween, so we didn't dress up. But we did get this cool fairytale pumpkin for our doorstep.

2008 was the year that we began our tradition of decorating with tiny white pumpkins (top left picture). We added different things to the tiny-pumpkin display every year: a sphinx in 2009, a sweet dumpling squash in 2010, a teapot and a little black cat in 2011.

 In 2010, we went to a classics Halloween party dressed as Aquaman and Ursula. (The theme was "Heroes and Villains.")

 In 2011, we taught our myth classes in costume. David was Heracles, and I was the Hittite god Ubelluri.

This year, David is going to dress up for his myth class again, but we're still working on the costume. I couldn't find tiny pumpkins this year! But we did get some really great pumpkins.

I think that Halloween 2012 is going to be amazing.

No comments: