This weekend David and I went to the Museum of Florida History. We saw the massive skeleton of the mastodon ...
... and the model of the giant prehistoric armadillo, and lots of other fascinating things.
I also went kayaking this weekend on the Wakulla, near the place where the mastodon's bones were found. I was surrounded by a cloud of blue-tailed damselflies (you can see a few of them on the kayak in this picture).
I saw this small alligator, and also a million turtles, and a pair of blue crabs scuttling along the river bed.
I saw this little blue heron, and also great blue herons, snowy egrets, great egrets, black vultures, a solitary sandpiper, and a prothonotary warbler.
And I watched this manatee and her baby swim around my kayak, and then dive down and pass directly underneath me.




2 comments:
I am terribly impressed that you got a photo of damselflies...and all while kayaking, too! Do you think that the manatees are playing with you? I wonder if the mother said "See, that is a human son. They are harmless but can't swim so well." I really got the feeling that some porpoises we saw on our cruise to Alaska were having a great time playing with our big boat. To them, it was like a big water toy! They raced it, swam under it, leapt up to look at it, swam circles around it. They really looked like they were having fun.
Yes, I think that's exactly what the manatees are doing! Except much, much more slowly than porpoises.
Post a Comment