Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day Flowers

On Valentine's Day we went to Maclay Gardens.

We sat on the benches in that little gazebo by the lake.

David wrote me a poem in Greek.

I wrote him a sonnet in English.

Then we walked around for a couple of hours in the gorgeous early spring landscape.

We saw luminous Spanish moss.

Carpets of camellias.

David took lots of flower pictures.

It was too early for azaleas or magnolias, but we saw spectacular flowering trees that we couldn't identify.

Like this one, which had little clusters of vivid pink flowers shaped like bells.

And this very fragrant tree.

And this pinky-lavender one.

We saw all kinds of life, including the very small.

And the very large.

And we left thinking about all the signs of spring flowers yet to come.

2 comments:

TemporaryLibrarian said...

How romantic! And I love that your blouse matches the tree behind you.

Ursula Krentz said...

I love the Spanish Moss!!