Monday, June 15, 2009

In Search of Manatees

I was planning my kayak trip on the Wakulla River all last week.

Yes, it's a beautiful river, but what I really wanted to see were the manatees that hang out there during the summer.

I paddled up the river, but instead of manatees, I saw five million turtles. Some of them were so big they could barely fit on their perches.

The pickerel weed was in bloom.

I saw two or three little blue herons like this one, and some egrets.

And an alligator. OK, the alligator was pretty exciting, even though I have gotten pretty familiar with alligators since I moved to Florida. But by the time I turned around and headed back down river, I was disappointed. No manatees.

Then I went down this little passage by the side of an island, and I saw bubbles in the water. Then two immense shapes moved under my kayak. Two gray snouts surfaced with a whuffling sound, close enough for me to touch. The water was clear enough to see the propeller scars on their backs as they swam beside me.

If I had been underwater, this is probably what it would have looked like.

But since I was in a kayak, and also I was busy shouting, "MANATEES! HELLO MANATEES!" -- this is the picture I got. That blobby thing in the middle of the picture is the manatee. Next weekend I hope I'll get some better manatee pictures.

4 comments:

Dr. Hausfrau said...

YES!!!

The Krentz Family said...

WOWZA!! Unbelievable. Why did the sign say "caution mantees" and not "Caution alligators"??? Aren't alligators more dangerous? Mantees look like stuffed animals.

elizabeth said...

It's the other way around; humans are dangerous to manatees -- especially humans in motor boats.

Dr. Hausfrau said...

William says because of manatees, we must go to florida. He wants to catch manatees for the aquarium on the balcony.